The Stakes Of Electoral Politics

Thu Nov 9 09:42:29 PST 2000

>>> delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU 11/08/00 11:17PM >>>

>no, no, and no, but putting aside that great year of 1997,
>has Clinton ever taken note of the worsening distribution
>of wealth, before- and after-tax income over time? For
>some reason he didn't get into that in the Amy Goodman
>interview.
>
>[not a rhetorical question]
>mbs

Whenever he is in the same room as Gene Sperling or Robert Reich, he worries about it a lot.

Whenever he is in the same room as Bob Rubin or Larry Summers, he worries about it some.

Whenever he is the same room as Bruce Reed... you can do the extrapolation.

What does he believe? God only knows.

But I am here to make my full and complete confession. When Bill Clinton said in the winter of 1992 that the rise in income inequality over the preceding decade and a half meant that the Democrats could not afford to nominate a candidate as far to the right and as pro-business as Paul Tsongas, I fell for it. I fell for it completely. I fell into the pit of damnation, brothers and sisters.

But now I have climbed out! I have repented! I have been washed white in the blood of the lamb!...

Perhaps I need to get some sleep. Perhaps I need to get my meds adjusted...

CB: Get a grip on yourself, comrade.