Summary of Nader analysis

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 08:02:08 PST 2000

<< The most vitriol is coming from Democrats to the left of the DLC. Why is not hard to figure out.>>

Because the corporate right of the Democratic Party has the power, and they have prog-liberals, clinging to their illusion of power and influence within the Democratic Party, to act as attack dogs? Because the ruling corporate right wing of the Dems knows that Nader's attack on corporate control of the party is essentially correct, and they understand that his kind of campaign is something that was always a possibility (and that they were willing to risk)? Is that what you mean?

Gore ran the campaign he wanted to run. The DLC types know this, since it was their campaign, too. They never will give the left wing of the party anything, because they don't have to. (All the left does is deliver elections, anyway. Just get them hyped up every four years and drop them later. It's not like they have anywhere else to go. Time-tested and predictable.) But blame will have to be found, and that blame is ALWAYS (by their rather openly-stated strategy) found on the left, and what counts as the left in the Democratic Party is now scrambling to attack the deviationist who threatens their already-marginal role in the Party.

It's revolting.

BTW, I prefer "DLC types" to the actual DLC, which I understand is a largely vestigial organization. They won. Their goals, ideology, and strategy dominate the upper levels of the party, so an organization isn't really needed. The actual organization can be an embarrassing lightning rod, in fact.

----Original Message Follows---- From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky) Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Subject: RE: Summary of Nader analysis Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:22:34 -0500

So here you have it. The more it seems that dissidence matters, the more savagely it is attacked. This is the moral equivalent of the way the cops are letting loose on the demonstrators at recent WTO meetings. Shuddup and gedbackinline, or its rubber bullets and all night in jail for you, Ralph! You were fine when you were a consumerist pain in the ass, but now you are a threat--you also a failure and irrelevant, but the main pooint is that you and your stupid minions had better get behind the next right wing DLCer--er, I mean moderate Democrat--we put up, or we escalate to real bullets and helicopter gunships. --jks

Point of clarification: There is all too much preoccupation with the DLC. I'm on their mailing list. They have yet to utter a cross word about Nader. The most vitriol is coming from Democrats to the left of the DLC. Why is not hard to figure out.

mbs