short end of the stick--yeahright

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Nov 10 10:22:12 PST 2000

John Halle:

> It also matters whether there really is the large differential
>between increases in black and white p.c. income-with the latter getting
>the short end of the stick.

short end of the stick? what? look, if black incomes start out as *far lower* than whites, when there is an economic boom it is reasonable to expect that their incomes are going to go up disproportionately. make sense.

like so, as an example

white guy makes 10.00 hour in 1980 white guy makes 12.00 hour in 1990

% change: +12%

black guy makes 8.00 hour in 1980 black guy makes 10.00 hour in 1990

% change: +25%

>So maybe even the census numbers are cooked-I wouldn't know, though Doug
>certainly seems to think otherwise.
>
>Don't mean to harp on this but it really does matter whether the economic
>boom has elevated at least some of those at the bottom or whether this
>impression is a statistical fiction perpetuated by establishment
>economics. It also matters whether there really is the large differential
>between increases in black and white p.c. income-with the latter getting
>the short end of the stick.
>
>John

look, i know the numbers of incarcerated have risen dramatically over a decade. but the numbers you are talking are *too* small to make a difference overall in terms of the N that constitutes the census. it just wouldn't have that big an effect.

cooked numbers: they were cooked in 1980 too. so you're comparing cooked numbers to other cooked numbers.