Fwd: Re: ID-Cafe: Florida ballot

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 11 14:10:59 PST 2000

LBOers,

In Ithaca, NY, we always had a lever system for voting, and, lying on the table in front of the voting booth (which is presided over by blue-haired old ladies whose daughters are selling homemade brownies at a nearby table to raise money for the school football team) there's a paper printout of the voting booth scenario which you can inspect so's to understand ahead of time which lever to pull (said blue-haired dames will explain, if necessary). Fairly straightforward, as these things go.

But apparently the punchcard system appears to be used a lot of other places, and according to the description given by another Information Designer below, would seem to be a lot hairier than I thought. It's also interesting to note that voters are supposed to be able to get a second chance if they fuck up the first time, though they'd only be able to prove that if they brought their instruction booklet with them -- which a lot of disappointed Florida voters apparently did not, since they were refused a second ballot when they realised they'd voted for Buchanan instead of Gore.

cheers, Joanna