Republicans Contesting the 1960 Election.

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Sat Nov 11 17:01:06 PST 2000

We've all probably heard the charge that the Democrats stole the 1960 election. There is a add-on, that Nixon, in his statesman-like love of his country, honorably declined to challenge the election. This is being resurrected now, to pressure Gore into not challenging this election.

It's a lie. Here are some articles discussing the Republican reaction to the 1960 election:

http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/11/10/nixon/index.html

http://slate.msn.com/code/PressBox/PressBox.asp?Show=11/9/2000&idMessage=6459

http://slate.msn.com/historylesson/00-10-16/historylesson.asp

There is a book referenced in the Slate articles, 'Courthouse Over White House: Chicago and the Presidential Election of 1960', by Edmund Kallina.

It's in the collection (on loan) of my local university library; I've put in a recall to get it back. I expect it to arrive in 1-2 weeks.

In the meantime, if anybody has any further information on this, I'd appreciate it if they'd forward it to me.

Thanks,

Barry