economic stats (as if people mattered)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 11 17:05:36 PST 2000

> > It would be a very rare Polish person to pass for Latino. And it
>> takes a very rare Polish person to identify himself/herself as black,
>> instead as white, in America. In any case, your assertion is utterly
> > ungrounded in empirically verifiable evidence. Yoshie
>
>I wouldn't be too sure. Take away Wojtek's trotsky
>eyeglasses and facial growth, put him in the right
>clothes and place, and you wouldn't be able to
>pick him out of a crowd of latinos.
>
>Seems to me anyone who isn't blonde/Nordic
>could pass for Latino. Except if they were black.
>Then they could actually be latino, but that possibility
>would be glossed over.
>
>mbs

Likewise, being Latino doesn't necessarily mean being non-white.

I'd severely doubt, however, that Wojtek has had as regular encounters with cops as his black peers must have.

The point is that even for middle-strata blacks who are Wojtek's economic peers & agree with him on crime policy, the wars on crimes & drugs have been a more mixed blessing due to racial profiling & police brutality than they probably have been for Wojtek & whites (however hyphenated they may be) in general. If their experiences had been the same, America's racial stratification & political landscape would have been different as well.

You are a Jew and (maybe!!!) could pass for a Latino, but I doubt your police encounters in D.C. have been in the neighborhood of blacks encounters.

Yoshie