Summary of Nader analysis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 12 16:49:23 PST 2000

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> >>However, the idea that Bush will be constrained by gridlock is
> not the original Nader/Green party proposition, that there is
> no significant difference between Bush and Gore.
>
> Barry

Sure -- and if Gore had won would say exactly the same thing. Gridlock will offer us some protection. Protection is needed equally against Gore or Bush (in the case of foreign affairs we probably need more protection against Gore than against Bush). I still assume that Monica saved social security.

And there are many different purposes embodied in the Green Party and the Nader Campaign. I'm sure there were many votes for Nader that would have been blank ballots had he not been running. Do we want a progressive movement or not? The main organizational barrier to such a movement is the ideological grip of the Democratic Party.

The German example from the early '30s is not relevant. If fascism ever comes to the U.S. the Caudillo will look a lot more like Jerry Brown than like either Mussolini or Hitler. So if it is *real* reaction and the dissolution of bourgeois democracy that you fear, that is all the more reason to work for the destruction of the party that gives shelter to the likes of Brown.

Carrol