economic stats (as if people mattered)

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sun Nov 12 21:21:30 PST 2000

> polish people have dark skin,

Er, not usually ...

>they do, afterall, come from the balkan regions

The ideal-type American is ridiculed for many things - many of 'em not at all fair - but their geographical grasp of their world is rightly notorious. Poland, a huge country whose coastline stretches along the Baltic from Germany to Russia (sorta directly below, and only a few miles from, all those swarthy Swedes), is north of Slovakia - and Slovakia is north of Hungary (another big country), and it is south of Hungary we find the Balkans. Whilst I acknowledge your point that ya don't necessarily gotta look different to be racially abused, I do hold you wouldn't be able to identify a Pole in an identity parade of Germans, Dutchies and Frenchies. And insofar as there are dark-skinned Poles (not that I've seen many), there are no fewer dark-skinned Germans, Dutchies and Frenchies.

Cheers, Rob.