economic stats (as if people mattered)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Nov 12 21:51:21 PST 2000

At 04:21 PM 11/13/00 +1100, you wrote:
> > polish people have dark skin,
>
>Er, not usually ...
>
> >they do, afterall, come from the balkan regions
>
>The ideal-type American is ridiculed for many things - many of 'em not at
>all fair - but their geographical grasp of their world is rightly
>notorious.

well, you will catch it rob, but you'll see elena's tease. i expected that, hence my use of the phrase "balkan regions". this is because wojtek's comments about this spurred a convo on the bad subjects list!

i hope you take the time to catch the rest of my comments. and someday i'll send you a jpg of my friends, the whole famdamily, and several other folks i know. peter's mother is a maid and, believe me, she's regular spoken to in spanish by well meaning guests who think she doesn't understand english. other than that, i assume my point is lost on you only b/c you haven't read the entire thread.

to reiterate, the interesting part of this--something we've explored on the cultural studies list--is that racializing stereotypes and the use of dark skin as a way to mark and label people varies on geographic region in the states.

kelley