Nathan and Florida

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sun Nov 12 21:43:22 PST 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marco Anglesio" <mpa at the-wire.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>IIRC, on my autumn vacation through Virginia and Maryland, it was
>emphasized at least a half-dozen times that the electoral college was set
>up as a compromise to prevent the direct rule of the mob.

It's also worth remembering that the electoral college institutionalized the voting power of slaveholding states, since a one person-one vote system would have given the slave states much less control of the Presidency. With the electoral college, slave states were assigned state vote totals based on the addition of 3/5 of each slave, while only white property holders got to vote those electors.

So the electoral college was one of the fundamental pillars of racism and slavery in America.

As well, as some scholars have pointed out, it helped discourage womens suffrage, since in a one person-one vote system, any state enfranchising women would have instantly doubled its voting power for President. This points to the general problem that the electoral college discourages states from mounting voter turnout campaigns, since they get the same number of electoral votes whether ten or ten million people vote in a particular election.

-- Nathan Newman