Nathan and Florida

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Sun Nov 12 21:08:37 PST 2000

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Gar Lipow wrote:
> There is little doubt (some because of unfinished counts) that Gore won
> the popular vote. I don't think many on this list would consider the
> electoral college -- originally designed to protect slave states -- a

IIRC, on my autumn vacation through Virginia and Maryland, it was emphasized at least a half-dozen times that the electoral college was set up as a compromise to prevent the direct rule of the mob. (Why historical interpreters would want to emphasize this to groups largely composed of foreigners is beyond me). The two-party system has perverted this somewhat; any EC model should work best in a multi-party system, where smaller parties can work together to elect the more or most favourable slate.

Perhaps that's a good reason for instituting proportional representation in the United States; an institution well-suited to it already exists.

In any case, I don't believe that abolition of slavery became a big political concern for another fifty to seventy-five years. But I could, and often am, wrong.

Cheers,

Marco