Nathan and Florida

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 12 07:11:37 PST 2000

Gar Lipow wrote:

>If fraud,
>intimidation of minority voters, and gross incompetence that
>disenfrachises voters have become a basic part of our electoral system
>-- this is a great opportunity to fight on the issue.

Certainly. But I see a lot of Dems - excluding Nathan, who is a serious and honorable guy - all exercised about this not on the basis of principle, but because their guy lost according to the current counts. I'd love to see a serious extended investigation of vote fraud around the U.S., not to mention serious scrutiny of the intentional anti-democratic structures of U.S. electoral practice (from technical stuff like ballot access through the systemic stuff like divided government and the Senate). I suspect that sometime in the next few days, after Gore folds, all the critiques of our pseduo-democracy will disappear, except maybe for some maligned Greens and other assorted malcontents, the very people now derided as spoilers.

Doug