economic stats (as if people mattered)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Nov 13 08:00:23 PST 2000

I am not aware of any ill treatmet Zbig Brzezinski encountered because of his ethnic origins, or Henry Kissinger, or Clarence Thomas, or Soon Yun Moon (sp?), or Rupert Murdoch. Despite being black, OJ Simpson got acquitted in a situation virtually noone else would. This brings to mind a quote attributed to the mayor of Vienna (his name escapes me) shortly before the Anschluss - "It is I who decide who is a Jew."

Another point: Yoshie, Carrol and Co. can you get over your "noble savage" mythology and stop attributing ill intentions to people who do not want to fraternize with assorted social bottom-feeders? Not everyone who does not like behavioral traits found in other people is a bigot, a mysogynist, or a racist. Volumes have been written on social perception of others, and calling everything that is not in line with this or that race-based ideology borders on docta ignorantia.

As to my eyeglasses a la Trotsky - they did not offer much help in Mexico City, with or without them I wqas still ag ringo. Perhaps because most people there do not remember who Trotsky was. The only people I met at the Casa Leo Trotsky were American tourists.

Fortunately, the first question most people I encountered asked was "Where are you from?" I quickly discovered that answering "from Poland" is infinitely preferable to "from the US."

wojtek