economic stats (as if people mattered)

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sun Nov 12 10:43:14 PST 2000

kelley wrote:

> we've had this "discussion" here several times. you might want to search
> the archives with google; angela racialization white trash would be the
> key words

Yeah, I've followed some of them...inconclusive, no?

I really don't think I understand your larger point. I know you're not doing the "all oppressions are equal" thing but then what? And while empirical means experience, we probably can both recall classroom rants about the limits of anecdotes.

And while you accept the proccessural nature of social constructionism there isn't necessarily much difference between it and racialization, except that racialization allows for a more concrete and historical grounding of social constructionism.

And racialization also goes beyond issues of identity or experience, in the sense of how people feel, etc. It captures the rational uses or consequences, getting at the 'who benefits?' angle of racial stratification and oppression. And its the basis for finger-wagging. Then again, finger-wagging seems like a list liability. That and contrarian. Hey, someone used the word narcissistic already today. Even when we agree, we rarely agree enough!

Dennis Breslin