Green-baiting

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Sun Nov 12 20:52:13 PST 2000

Alterman says:

> For now, we can expect an ugly period of payback in Washington in which
> Nader's valuable network of organizations will likely be the first to
> pay. Democrats will no longer return his calls. Funders will tell him to
> take a hike. Sadly, his life's work will be a victim of the infantile
> left-wing disorder Nader developed in his quixotic quest to elect a
> reactionary Republican to the American presidency. (full text at

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20001127&s=alterman)

Get ready, folks: the fine art of Red-baiting is slowly but surely turning into Green-baiting. You have to wonder what planet Alterman's transponder is set to these days. Dems have been ignoring progressive groups for eight years now. Nader's PIRGs have strong local bases of support and have never been dependent on Wall Street punters. And of course Alterman can't be bothered to issue a word on the electoral college or our worst-past-the-post voting system. I'm trying really, really hard to be nice, but if Alterman afflicts us with even *one* more Nader-baiting column, I'm hauling out the interstellar flame-thrower on his sorry ass.

-- Dennis