Advantage Bush?

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:52:19 PST 2000

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

Doug wrote:

>What if there's no recession? Or if it's so mild it hardly matters?

Or even a severe one, as long as it's short and comes quickly (remember, we might already be in one).

Does anybody remember Reagan's re-election campaign, "Morning in America"?

It came in 1984.

The worst post-WWII recession was in 1982.

Michael Perelman wrote (in a later post):

>It doesn't matter whether there's a recession or not. There will be
>serious problems and with such a divided Congress and the absence of a
>mandate, I think he will look pretty bad. The same goes for Gore.

Well, the GOP presidents do seem to get along good with Democratic Congresses, let along (slim majority) GOP Congresses. And there's enough hardcore GOP loyalists to give Bush a very solid 35% mandate. While (IMHO) there just isn't that large of a fanatical anti-Bush block on the left.

Barry