Hail the Hitler-Stalin pact!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:54:02 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Charles Brown wrote:
>
> > Soviet-German non-Agression Pact is and was eminently supportable.
> >It helped saved the world from Nazism.
>
> Wow. You don't see this argument made every day. Reading it is a bit
> like walking out the door and seeing a mastodon dining on a dodo.

I have not close knowledge of what went on within the SU between the signing of the pact and the German invasion. But if that period helped at all, then the claim that the treaty was crucial to the war against fascism would be almost a truism. The burden of proof would I think be on those that wanted to claim one of the following: (a) that the U.S. would have defeated German even if the SU had collapsed, (b) that the SU would have been able to defeat Germany in any case or (c) that the SU made no use of the time it saved. In any case, the events of 1937-41 were complex enough so that it is silly to say one particular judgment is obvious. Until someone gives strong reasons to the contrary, I would say Charles is probably right.

Carrol