Fear Of The Masses, or Fear of Armed Thugs

Leo Casey leoecasey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 19:05:31 PST 2000

This is the kind of argument that comes out of the NRA academics who try to defend an absolutist interpretation of the Second Amendment on the grounds of a purportedly originalist doctrine: it provides the masses with the means to keep the government in check through the force of arms, just as its authors supposedly intended it to do. The government gets too oppressive, and the masses just rise up with their guns and overthrow it.

This would simply be an example of how absurdly ahistorical propositions of the type which simply ignore over two centuries of developments in the technology of armed force and its concentration in the hands of the state, could be argued as if they bore some relationship to the real world, if not for the fact that the incredible proliferation of handguns do pose a real danger -- to the people who live and work in poor communities where a simple walk down the street can mean being caught in the crossfire of armed thugs. Not exactly a threat in the world of academia where such theories are constructed and entertained, apparently even among self-styled "radicals," but certainly the overriding reason why liberal and social democratic leaders of the African-American community, such as Major Owens, put such an emphasis on gun control. Fear of the masses, my foot.

> Doug:
> I think that liberals get exercised by gun
> control for reasons not
> dissimilar to their obsession with the Supreme
> Court: they're scared
> of the masses. Bigoted yahoos who can't be
> trusted. So disarm them -
> and leave the important decisions to judges and
> other experts (you
> know, getting all the smart people together on
> the Vineyard...).

> Yoshie Furuhashi:
> Yes, I think it's important to call liberals on
> their fear of the
> masses. It's just that, you know, in the past,
> criticism of this
> nature has been mainly coming from folks who
> think like Alex
> Cockburn, and that it has tended to come across
> as an expression of
> vicarious identification with armed macho men in
> weekend warrior outfits.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --