Language of Betrayal

Leo Casey leoecasey at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 09:33:10 PST 2000

I have long since not expected that any standard of fairness would temper your words on this subject. So your response is entirely predictible, since the one thing you clearly do not want to do is to take responsibility for your own words written and published here, for your own characterization of those of us on the left who campaigned on behalf of a Gore victory as unprincipled and without an ounce of self-respect. It was those words which so clearly constitute the very "language of betrayal" which you would later denounce, in a very general way, as what offended you about the criticism of the Nader campaign coming from Gore supporters. Even if Nader and the Nader campaign had not said a word in this vein -- and it really borders on the surreal to suggest that they did not continually attack Gore, the Democratic Party and Gore supporters for having betrayed the causes of the left -- your own words, and no one else's attributed to you -- employed this language of betrayal.

Justin writes:
> OK, Leo, if you hold me responsible for certain
> (unquoted and unattributed)
> statements by certain people in Nader campaign, I
> will hold you responsible
> for such statements by the Gore campaign. So, you
> defend Mas Canosa and
> honor his memory--Lieberman made a pilgimage to
> the great man's grave. You
> support the death penalty and NAFTA and the
> Antiterrorism Act of 1996 and .
> . . . Doubtless you will feel this is unfair. Too
> bad. I simply reason as you do, unfairly.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters.

-- Frederick Douglass --