Fwd: No '.union' top level domain, says ICANN

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Nov 17 13:01:32 PST 2000

While I don't like ICANN and think we should support an open domain system (with 52,000 TLDs), I find the news from ICANN to have a silver lining. The good news is that they didn't approve .xxx or .kids and they rejected them for the right reasons. This gives those of us who are fighting against Internet filtering in libraries some more breathing room. No matter what the proponents of .xxx and .kids say about them being voluntary, they would have led to the creation of hard zoning of the Internet based on content. The narrow-minded puritans out there don't need anymore encouragement as the free speech advocates conduct mop-up operations after the culture wars.

Chuck0