Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Nov 22 08:15:36 PST 2000

> Ian says:

> >Drugs are fun not non-alienating. Lots of folks take them out of

> >experimental proclivities too, not just escape from alienating

> >circumstances. Jerry Garcia was not alienated or oppressed, neither was

> >William Burroughs [just try oppressing that guy :-)]

Burroughs? So his world of talking assholes, sodomite

insects, demented physicians, underground trade in

human organs, etc. does not bespeak alienation?

hmm.

mbs

"I am a public agent and don't know who I work for."

-- WSB

Where in my statement above do I say they ameliorate alienation. Just because they are fun it does not follow they abolish alienation. Hence, "not non-alienating". Burroughs was poking savage fun at the banality at the source of much alienation, a Kafka on....drugs. In some sense he got "beyond" the alienation enough to blast it. In any case he was far less alienated than the rest of his generation. What would constitute non-alienation?

Ian

Ian