Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Mon Nov 27 12:07:47 PST 2000

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Ian says:
>
> >Drugs are fun not non-alienating. Lots of folks take them out of
> >experimental proclivities too, not just escape from alienating
> >circumstances. Jerry Garcia was not alienated or oppressed, neither was
> >William Burroughs [just try oppressing that guy :-)]

Replying through Yoshie, as I mised the original, or it was on the other list.

Garcia may have not been oppressed, but he certainly was alienated. Primarily because of his own lack of self-respect. The Garcia that experimented with hashish, mushrooms, and LSD was not the same one who led a long battle with heroin. Garcia eventually succumbed to his poor health, aggravated by his heroin and junk-food addictions. The man had a somewhat troubled soul - his guilt from being a poor father combined with the guilt of being associated with the peace cum drug movement as well as the concert family cum drug mob that followed the band.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ Yet, Freedom! yet thy banner, torn, but flying, Streams like thunder-storm against the wind.

-Lord Byron