From the gummint-bashing dept

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 22 13:39:55 PST 2000

The freedom freaks are bitching about the gummint surveilling (but not yet punishing) their SUVs innocently cruising along I-95 (see the attachment).

What surprises me is that ownership of a motor vehicle in the US did away with crucial constitutional guarantees long time ago. While driving or merely being in a motor vehicle you have no right to protection from unreasonable searches and seizures or to a trial by jury. The cops can at will stop and search, confiscate and auction the vehicle you are driving, whether you own it or not, whether they have any warrant to do so, or whether you are subsequently found guilty of anything. All they need to do is to say that they are looking for drugs.

Moreover, in order to be able to travel, you need a permission from the people who call themselves the government (aka drivers licence), which is a privilege that can be revoked at will so, e.g. when the gummint wants your money.

In short, cars were the main vehicle for introducing the police state and suspending the constitution - yet nobody bitched about that. Au contraire, car has been the synonym of the Amerikun freedom. So what is all that fuss about cameras?

wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________ _________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

-------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------~-~> eLerts It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free! http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/3/_/480331/_/974927818/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------_->