renouncing whiteness

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 22 18:07:08 PST 2000

>At 02:47 PM 11/22/00 -0500, Yoshie wrote:
>>>That prompted my
>>>agreement with Norman Finkelstein's thesis that US political discourse
>>>tends to be driven by grievance manufacturing industries controlled by
> >>ethnic groups.
> >>wojtek
>>
> >Blame it on lawyers. No grievance, no litigation.
>
>Why lawyers? It is identity politics that I had in mind. And the
>intellectual commodity producers who manufacture grievances as the means of
>reinforcing identities which form nice market niches for their products.
>wojtek

In this country, folks don't have a political party that represents -- or even claims to represent -- working-class interests (the Dems had always been a party of ethnic white votes, even before blacks switched from the Reps to the Dems); unions are small and weak; folks don't belong to cross-racial social institution outside work; etc. In this context, litigation has thrived as a substitute for achieving one's goals collectively in a political arena (party, union, social institution, etc.); and next to litigation, a kind of ethnic machine politics (= identity politics).

Yoshie