Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 23 09:45:59 PST 2000

Uday Mohan wrote:

> Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin wrote:
>
> > I remember Sut Jhally -- a real anti-porn prude, humorless, pedantic.
>
> What's wrong with being antiporn? Or is it the way one is antiporn that
> troubles?

Leaving aside the libertarian reasons for being anti-antiporn, pornography is one of those issues that distract people from serious issues. It is strictly a rightwing issue.

But, that said, I also find repellant this throwing around of labels such as "prude," "humorless," and "pedantic." Don't people have as much a right to be pedantic or humorless as they do to poison themselves with nicotine. Use of such labels by those who specialize in snide remarks about

leftists thinking they know best is just as repellant as the stupid diatribes of the McDworkinites.

Carrol