Question on Econ Prof Martin Feldstein

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Nov 25 10:53:20 PST 2000

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Barry Rene DeCicco wrote:

> What I'm interested in is his record as a supply-side economist during
> the first Reagan administration. I had heard that he gave a magazine
> interview in which he confessed that supply-side economics was
> fraudulent, and that he had only supported it because he thought that
> the deficits it produced would lead to social spending cuts.

I think the place that argument first and most prominently appeared was in an interview that David Stockman gave to Harper's Magazine. I believe it was while he was still Reagan's budget director, since it led to the quote that Reagan had taken him "out to the woodshed."

Perhaps Martin Feldman is cited in that article? I believe Stockman maintained that most if not all of the economists on Reagan's team shared this idea. At any rate, it seems like the place to start. I think it might have become the core of a book.

Michael