Question on Econ Prof Martin Feldstein

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Nov 25 10:44:31 PST 2000

>This is a guy who's been supporting social security
>reform for the last 30 years. But what I'm interested
>in is his record as a supply-side economist during the first
>Reagan administration.
>
>I had heard that he gave a magazine interview in which he
>confessed that supply-side economics was fraudulent, and
>that he had only supported it because he thought that the deficits
>it produced would lead to social spending cuts.
>
>Does anybody recall that article? I've done a web search,
>and haven't been able to find it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Barry

Your best bet is, I think, Martin Feldstein, "Economic Policy in the 1980s: A Personal View," in Martin Feldstein, ed., American Economic Policy in the 1980s. If I recall correctly, he speaks there about his warning the rest of the Reagan administration that their supply side-based revenue forecasts were "grossly inconsistent with what was likely to happen given Federal Reserve Policy..."

But I'm on the road: I don't have my external brain packs handy...

Brad DeLong