Property Taxes and Public Education Financing

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:37:52 PST 2000

Tom Lehman: << I don't know where you are writing from, but, you will be shocked if you just scratch the surface of the abated property tax issue in the state in which you live!

One new wrinkle in the property tax abatement game is the electric utility deregulation angle now going on in all but a few states...I don't know where you are writing from, but, you will be shocked if you just scratch the surface of the abated property tax issue in the state in which you live!

One new wrinkle in the property tax abatement game is the electric utility deregulation angle now going on in all but a few states...>>

Are you mixing up property tax abatements (issued by counties, municipalities, etc.) with all tax breaks in general? Because I'm familiar with the electricity dereg actions (in general, if not in detail, because these laws are designed to be unintelligible to citizens) and I don't see property tax abatements as a major part, or even a part, of them. In Massachusetts, electricity dereg passed through a typical corporate-sponsored ballot initiative in 1998. From what I can tell, the electric company is making their millions in sanctioned fraud the old-fashioned way: Direct rip-off of the consumer.

Corporations fight tax measures tooth and nail, but here they focus on capital gains taxes, corporate taxes (a none-starter, they're so secure) and, increasingly, income taxes, which affect their big execs and the interests of their class. (They show impressive class consciousness all around, I must say.) They are more likely to starve schools on the state level, a crucial funding source here and in much of the country. Property tax fights are pushed by the real estate interests, a powerful group, for sure, but not corporate capital.

----Original Message Follows---- From: Tom Lehman <TLehman at lor.net> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Property Taxes and Public Education Financing Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:13:32 -0500

I don't know where you are writing from, but, you will be shocked if you just scratch the.. _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com