Property Taxes and Public Education Financing

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sun Nov 26 13:10:18 PST 2000

Generally, any of the public interest research groups, citizen action groups or the league of women voters can give you the property tax angles on electric utility de-regulation in your state. The Utility Workers union and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers also have a considerable amount of info on the issue.

There was a considerable amount of thoughtful opposition to electric utility de-regulation in Massachusetts---I'm not sure what the final outcome was, if any, in your state regarding the property tax angle. But, in a lot of states the electric utility corporations and the big energy corporations are going to skate, while the average taxpayer is going to pick up the bill for lost property taxes on switchgear, power plants etc.

Find out which corporations in your area have property tax abatement---if you can.

Tom