renouncing whiteness

Christopher B. Hajib-Niles cniles at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 26 22:42:48 PST 2000

>Messsage du 26/11/2000 19:59
>De : <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>A : <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Copie à :
>Objet : Re: renouncing whiteness

By admitting and owning the faults of the environmental movement, I could
> have begun to discuss with this man situations where folks with very little
> political power are exploited by pollution. Where poor communities with
> stagnate economies buy toxic waste, allowing themselves to be dumped on.
> That time I missed an opportunity for coalition with another person, because
> I was busy defending my position with intangible Taoist one with the
> universe B.S.

thanks for the story, jennifer! it is a perfect example of how one can recognize both their role in reproducing whiteness and move to address the problem through thinking and honest exchange with others without wallowing in guilt.

chris niles