renouncing whiteness

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Nov 27 08:01:53 PST 2000

At 05:59 PM 11/26/00 +0000, Jennifer Young wrote:
>I have be involved in protecting the environment. Once a man posted on an
>environmental listserve expressing his opinion that the environmental
>movement mostly benefited white middle class people, and he said the
>movement was racist. Naturally, I wanted to defend my own interest and
>position, and explained that I was concerned with all living things on the
>planet. This was a situation where I could have admitted or acknowledged
>that groups like the Sierra Club, or the Nature Conservancy tend to benefit
>more affluent predominantly white folks. The folks with the SUV's to get to
>these remote areas, the folks with money to buy all the hiking
>paraphernalia, the folks who have nice boots and LL.Bean!

This is a very silly critique of the environmental movement, indeed. Sounds like a canard pulled by corporate media hacks trying to pit the leisure of the urban class against hard work of the rural folks.

Attaching a racist label to this tripe is even more pathetic. By the same logic, Amerikun blacks are a bunch or racist scumbugs because by buying Nike shoes they benefit from the exploitation of Third World labor.

wojtek