Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Mon Nov 27 12:45:00 PST 2000

Replying through Yoshie, as I missed the original, or it was on the other

list.

Garcia may have not been oppressed, but he certainly was alienated.

Primarily because of his own lack of self-respect. The Garcia that

experimented with hashish, mushrooms, and LSD was not the same one who led

a long battle with heroin. Garcia eventually succumbed to his poor

health, aggravated by his heroin and junk-food addictions. The man had a

somewhat troubled soul - his guilt from being a poor father combined with

the guilt of being associated with the peace cum drug movement as well as

the concert family cum drug mob that followed the band.

Matt

I like the switch of metaphors. What does it mean to say Garcia "battled" heroin, a physiologically benign--relatively speaking--drug unless you ain't got some ready to hand. Garcia just didn't play heroin the way he could play guitar. As for alienation, I think it's such a subjective term and don't want to get into a debate over it's ploysemy as we don't know what non-alienating[ion] is, or do we?

What's a soul?

Ian