Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Mon Nov 27 14:33:50 PST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> I like the switch of metaphors. What does it mean to say Garcia "battled"
> heroin, a physiologically benign--relatively speaking--drug unless you
> ain't got some ready to hand.

Fighting the addiction. Very few people *want* to be addicted to junk. They'd rather their life was in a state that the didn't want the junk.

> Garcia just didn't play heroin the way he
> could play guitar.

My objection only came because I thought Garcia a poor example, considering the last decade and a half of his life. Regular heroin use by most people quickly becomes dependance rather than recreation (and I'm one who actually thinks it is possible for many people to use cocaine recreationally - but the junk is rough).

> As for alienation, I think it's such a subjective term
> and don't want to get into a debate over it's ploysemy as we don't know what
> non-alienating[ion] is, or do we?

Fair enough.

> What's a soul?

A person, particularly the emotional traits of that person.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ That to live by one man's will became the cause of all men's misery.

-Richard Hooker