Christopher Hitchens from left charlatan to mouthpiece for the Republican right

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Tue Nov 28 09:19:27 PST 2000

Daniel Davies wrote:

> And then we had that bullshit in an email to (forget
> who) someone on lbo saying that "conservatives are
> talking more sense than liberals on a lot of issues,
> particularly libertarian"...

Back in the 80s there was a saying that a neoconservative was a liberal who had been mugged. Has Hitchens?

Then again I think Hitchens' antipathy toward the Clintons' 'personal as political' action has been generalized to all things Democratic Party-ish. Which isn't all that uncommon these days.

The animus toward all things Clinton and the Democrats often feels identical to what you'd expect from Republicans. Its not so much the intensity as the vantage point.

I wonder if there's a more general movement afoot where a new cohort of left-leaning pundits mutate - some get invited to the reindeer games and reconcile hypocrisy as a career cost while others as outsiders from the so-called liberal establishment end-up spinning a conservative line. Of course there's always the possibility of left-tilting radicalism, right?

Dennis Breslin