Christopher Hitchens from left charlatan to mouthpiece for the Republican right

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:49:25 PST 2000

Dennis Breslin wrote:

>Daniel Davies wrote:
>>
>> And then we had that bullshit in an email to (forget
>> who) someone on lbo saying that "conservatives are
>> talking more sense than liberals on a lot of issues,
>> particularly libertarian"...
>
>Back in the 80s there was a saying that a neoconservative
>was a liberal who had been mugged. Has Hitchens?

I thought neo-conservatives ideologues (though not followers) were mainly former _leftists_ (not liberals) who decided that while they were against slavery & Jim Crow, they didn't like blacks after all because they were loud & also that abortion was a sin.

The myth of a liberal who was mugged & became neo-conservative, however, has a virtue of highlighting the centrality of criminal justice in the production of race.

Yoshie