The Color of Money

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Tue Nov 28 16:55:28 PST 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Christopher B. Hajib-Niles wrote:

> struggle are changed, critically for the better, i think. i think we can
> be sure that the day significant number of white radicals go from being
> "anti-racist" to "anti-white" is the day white radicals will find the
> allies that they always wish they had and vice-versa.

We've had that since Melville, who had a whole deconstruction of whiteness in the latter pages of "Moby Dick". But racism, like sexism, gay-bashing and other social ills, isn't about classes of bodies, but bodies of class: who gets to appropriate, how, where and with what means. Even a relatively egalitarian society like Japan has the most ferocious racism against specific groups of Japanese citizens, even though their ruling class isn't "white" in that sense (and even tries to compensate by aggressively over-identifying with US culture). Identity-politics are ultimately about class politics; which isn't to say that we can simply toss out identity altogether (I'd argue we need *more* identity politics, not less), but just to note that the nascent global Left doesn't have effective ways of talking, thinking or politicking about multinational identity just yet.

-- Dennis