Class War & Criminal Race (was Re: renouncing whiteness)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:10:29 PST 2000

From Chris Niles to Gordon Fitch:

> > If,
>> as I think, the class war produces racism and similar social
>> pathologies, then the police are likely to be closely
>> associated with them and their behavior may appear to drive
>> the system. However, this wouldn't explain all the forms
>> which racist practice takes.
>
>the problem with the class war analysis is that there is no class
>war going on, at least not properly speaking. that's why your
>analysis does not explain all of what you call "racist" practices
>and what i call "white" practices.

What has been going on in the recent decades (say, after the mid-70s) in America is more or less the one-sided class war (or "turkey shoot"?) from above, in response to which puny & disorganized resistances have been mounted sporadically. Much of resistance has assumed individualized (e.g., quitting jobs, filing lawsuits, stealing time & things at work, cheating on random drug testing, etc.) or racialized/ethnicized (e.g., the L.A. uprising in response to the acquittal of the cops who beat Rodney King) or gendered/sexualized (e.g., fight against gay-bashing, sexual harassment, domestic violence, anti-abortion terrorism, etc.) or economistic forms (e.g., strikes, union organizing, anti-globalization protests, etc.), and none of it has been informed by Marxism or any other revolutionary theory to any significant extent.

Why don't most Americans notice the class war from above, under which they groan? That is because the Production of Criminal Race (= mainly blacks & illegal aliens of color, and to the lesser extent Latinos & Arab-Americans, with occasional Chinese scientists thrown in), among other things, has masked the class character of class war. To too many white workers, the class war of the recent decades looks just like Law & Order (& Eternal Poverty in the Third World).

Yoshie