Class War & Criminal Race (was Re: renouncing whiteness)

Christopher B. Hajib-Niles cniles at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 29 01:47:19 PST 2000

>Messsage du 29/11/2000 03:10
>De : <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>A : <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Copie à :
>Objet : Class War & Criminal Race (was Re: renouncing whiteness)
>
> From Chris Niles to Gordon Fitch:
>
> > > If,
> >> as I think, the class war produces racism and similar social
> >> pathologies, then the police are likely to be closely
> >> associated with them and their behavior may appear to drive
> >> the system. However, this wouldn't explain all the forms
> >> which racist practice takes.
> >
> >the problem with the class war analysis is that there is no class
> >war going on, at least not properly speaking. that's why your
> >analysis does not explain all of what you call "racist" practices
> >and what i call "white" practices.
>
> What has been going on in the recent decades (say, after the mid-70s)
> in America is more or less the one-sided class war (or "turkey
> shoot"?) from above,

ok, i can get with that.

> resistances have been mounted sporadically. Much of resistance has
> assumed individualized (e.g., quitting jobs, filing lawsuits,
> stealing time & things at work, cheating on random drug testing,
> etc.)

i've engaged in all these puny forms of resistance except law suits!

or racialized/ethnicized (e.g., the L.A. uprising in response
> to the acquittal of the cops who beat Rodney King)

a lost opportunity that has been overly-valorized by lefties desperate for any sign of revolutionary activity.

or
> gendered/sexualized (e.g., fight against gay-bashing, sexual
> harassment, domestic violence, anti-abortion terrorism, etc.) or
> economistic forms (e.g., strikes, union organizing,
> anti-globalization protests, etc.), and none of it has been informed
> by Marxism or any other revolutionary theory to any significant
> extent.

yes. quite true.

> Why don't most Americans notice the class war from above, under which
> they groan? That is because the Production of Criminal Race (=
> mainly blacks & illegal aliens of color, and to the lesser extent
> Latinos & Arab-Americans, with occasional Chinese scientists thrown
> in), among other things, has masked the class character of class war.

yes. and then some.

To too many white workers, the class war of the recent decades looks
> just like Law & Order (& Eternal Poverty in the Third World).

yes. that is and continues to be the case.

chris niles