renouncing whiteness?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:36:21 PST 2000

Chris says:

>questions: apart from what happens when you walk out of your door in the
>morning, do you consider yourself a member of the white race?

Is it up to me? I mean, if I applied for a job and said, don't treat me as if I were white, an employer would probbaly think this was a sleazy attempt to get an affirmative action advantage. If I told a Black person, "I'm not white," they'd look at me funny. "I think race meaningless and I renounce the priviliges society confers on fair skinned persons of European descent." "OK, guy, give me your fancy college degrees and resume, then." I mean, it's silly to think that whiteness is a matter of what I consider myself to be. There's an objective aspect to this that you are missing.

>would you be offended if some serious, non-moralizing political folk (black
>or white or non-white) incorporated anti-white themes into their struggle?
>would you shy away from that struggle or embrace it?

Depends, the Nation of Islam says that white people are devils. They won't let me embrace their struggle, and frankly I am not inclined to. They hate Jews, too, and IU='m one. If some group attacks white domination, I'm with them. If it says it hates white people, it probably doesn't mean that it hates white domination. It probably means that it thinks that that domination is because the white race is evil and inherently oppressioon. I can understand why people of color might think that, but I can't join in.

--jks

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com