renouncing whiteness ?

Christopher B. Hajib-Niles cniles at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 29 10:26:32 PST 2000

>Messsage du 29/11/2000 17:36
>De : <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>A : <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>Copie à :
>Objet : Re: renouncing whiteness?
>
> Chris says:
> >
> >questions: apart from what happens when you walk out of your door in the
> >morning, do you consider yourself a member of the white race?
>
> Is it up to me?

no, politically and socially it isn't. i was asking you a question about your intellectual committments, which is why i started the sense with "apart from what happens to you when you walk out the door in the morning?" to give you a hint at what i'm looking for, i certainly don't consider myself a member of a 'black race' but i'm no fool: i know how i am seen once i walk out the door. but my intellectual understanding of who i am does indeed shape and inform my political committments.

I mean, if I applied for a job and said, don't treat me as
> if I were white, an employer would probbaly think this was a sleazy attempt
> to get an affirmative action advantage. If I told a Black person, "I'm not
> white," they'd look at me funny. "I think race meaningless and I renounce
> the priviliges society confers on fair skinned persons of European descent."
> "OK, guy, give me your fancy college degrees and resume, then." I mean, it's
> silly to think that whiteness is a matter of what I consider myself to be.
> There's an objective aspect to this that you are missing.
>
> >would you be offended if some serious, non-moralizing political folk (black
> >or white or non-white) incorporated anti-white themes into their struggle?
> >would you shy away from that struggle or embrace it?
>
> Depends, the Nation of Islam says that white people are devils.

please read: i said serious. you know damn well that i am not talking about folks who consider white-skinned blue-eyed people devils so give it a rest.

If it says it hates white people, it probably doesn't mean that it
> hates white domination.

i never said anything about anybody hating anybody. YOU did. fasicnating. how did you turn my theoretical anti-white movement (obviously based on much that i have written here) into a hate movement? you should think about that for a moment...

It probably means that it thinks that that
> domination is because the white race is evil and inherently oppressioon.

i think the white race is inherently oppressive and there seems to be plenty of evidence for that fact? how come you don't? I
> can understand why people of color might think that, but I can't join in.

why not? are they wrong? misguided? what? what would you tell "people of color" to do instead? why wouldn't some "white" folks think of the white race as inherently oppresive?