Simple question on sanctions

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 29 07:07:29 PST 2000

Does the left have a consistent policy on sanctions? With South Africa, we derided "constructive engagement" as being a tool for apartheid and an excuse for corporate expansion, calling for nothing less than absolute sanctions and total divestment (even if that did cause some short-term economic difficulty). But then liberals (and some on the real left) seem to support something which seems very much like "constructive engagement" for Iraq, Cuba, etc. etc.

I'm aware that the motives are different in each case. But is there a way of framing this so that the public doesn't get confused about where we stand?

----- Original Message ----- From: Brad DeLong <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 12:07 AM Subject: Re: Election Crisis and Electoral Reform