Charlatans Left & Right

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:10:21 PST 2000

I just learned from a student member of her
>school
>district's reproductive health advisory committee that Michigan law
>forbids mention of "masturbation" (though it's unclear whether
>euphemisms are acceptable),

Um, like, "Don't commit the sin of Onan, or you'll go blind"? "The sin of Onan?" "Yeah, like, don't spill your seed upon the ground." "Seed?" (This doesn't work for girls.)

mandates that abstinence until marriage
>be promoted as the best approach, and requires a representative of
>the clergy be a member of the advisory board (so much for separating
>church & state!).
>
>Does anyone know if this sort of idiocy prevails in other states?

Probably. A friend who used to live in Oklahoma once told me that fundamentalists in the state leg tried to get a measure through giving evolution and creation equal time, until someone pointed out that meant that evolution would get equal time. This sort of thing makes us the laughingstock of civilized nations.

--jks

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com