Fw: [ASDnet] What Went Wrong for Ralph?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 30 09:27:50 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>The Greens "might" consider building alliances with other groups? That the
>word "might" is even used is the best explanation for why Nader and the
>Greens failed, since they treat other progressives as unneeded or even
>illegitimate representatives of progressive values.

Dunno about the Greens, but Nader & Co. are notorious for their inability to work in coalitions. If they're in one, they want to dominate it - or they'll go it alone. For all their talk of grassroots democracy, they don't really practice it.

Not, of course, that the Democrats are any better. The Dems have repeatedly refused to organize their own mobs in Florida to counter the Republicans. Gore has proudly said that they don't do that sort of thing. They've actually sent good organizers home from Florida, too.

It just struck me the other week that the three major candidates were a perfect HYP trio - Gore from Harvard, W from Yale, and Nader from Princeton.

Doug