Fw: [ASDnet] What Went Wrong for Ralph?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Nov 30 09:55:29 PST 2000

Nathan Newman:
> >The Greens "might" consider building alliances with other groups? That the
> >word "might" is even used is the best explanation for why Nader and the
> >Greens failed, since they treat other progressives as unneeded or even
> >illegitimate representatives of progressive values.

Doug Henwood:
> Dunno about the Greens, but Nader & Co. are notorious for their
> inability to work in coalitions. If they're in one, they want to
> dominate it - or they'll go it alone. For all their talk of
> grassroots democracy, they don't really practice it.

Okay, but if Nader & Co. and the Greens _did_ attempt to form alliances, would there be anyone out there to meet them halfway? What would the combined program look like? If it were just a list of government benefits under the continued domination of Capital which had to be paid for out of working- class taxes (or debt or inflation or regulation) it doesn't seem that it could compete with what the Democrats already offer. As I said, the Greens might give it a try, but one can see how the present conservative system would automatically resist infection with free-floating radical values, at least under present conditions.