Thoughts on E-Mail Leaflets

cleanbyrd 1 cleanbyrd at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:34:09 PST 2000

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>CC: cleanbyrd 1 <cleanbyrd at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Thoughts on E-Mail Leaflets, was Re: Fwd: Thoughts on Bui. . .
>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:14:16 -0600
>
>Posts of this sort, intended for wide circulation, can be
>regarded as leaflets, and the considerations that go into
>preparing a leaflet should operate. In other words, the
>sender ought to give time, effort, and thought to making
>the post as presentable as possible. I at least am going
>to delete unread posts in which every line is preceded
>by one or more >s, just as I would throw away a
>mostly unreadable leaflet.
>
>They should also have at the top a brief statement by
>the forwarder of *why* she/he thinks the post worth
>further distribution.
>
>Carrol

Fair enough Carrol.

There has been a lively discussion on lbo-list recently about race.I was impressed by the work that these young people are doing to bridge coalitions. I thought this "leaflet" would be good fodder for the discussion.

I was particularly interested in hearing any comments Chris might have about their efforts. They believe intentions are not enough, and they seem committed to destroying the structures and institutions that perpetuate white privilege. Their comments about not just wanting to look like a Bennetton ad were poigent. They offered several practical suggestions, I hope they can weather the friction that may be produced.

Jennifer Young

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com