Amazon Clears Things Up

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Oct 4 11:18:54 PDT 2000

fyi

mbs

------------

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Some news reports over the last several weeks have incorrectly characterized a recent Amazon.com random price test as a test based on customer demographic information. These reports were incorrect and were not based on the facts.

Contrary to these reports, Amazon.com varied the discount levels on a select number of items on a completely random basis--that is, without respect to customer demographic information, purchase history or any other information.

We now believe that even that random test was a mistake, because it increases customer uncertainty and thus complicates our customers' lives. As a result, we have since changed our policy so that if we conduct any random price tests in the future, we will automatically give customers who purchased a test item the lowest test price for that product at the conclusion of the test period, thereby ensuring that all customers pay the lowest available price.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us about this issue.

Best regards,

Cassandra C Amazon.com Earth's Biggest Selection http://www.amazon.com ============================== Check your order and more! Questions? We have your answers!