Kostunica on US/NATO violence

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 9 14:20:08 PDT 2000

[quoted by Sam Smith in his Progressive Review]

It is my duty to say one more thing. There is another sort of violence that befell our misfortunate people - external violence spearheaded by power-wielders in Washington and Brussels. The forms of the external violence are the long-standing sanctions, last year's bombs and support to Albanian terrorists in Kosovo. Whatever the source, violence is always violence, despite occasional attempts at presenting it as humane. It is hard to believe that people are killed, exhausted and starved by sanctions, and that their environment poisoned for their own benefit. First and foremost, we have to trample the domestic violence underfoot. In order to survive as a people, we have to normalize our relations with the world, but we must neither disregard nor forget the foreign violence conceived by the United States and NATO. More importantly, we must never elevate it in our esteem or present it as anything else but violence. Otherwise we will forget who and what we are.-- President of the Democratic Party, Vojislav Kostunica, at Belgrade rally, April 14, 2000