Chris Burford's Comments

Mon Oct 9 09:05:10 PDT 2000

>>> dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU 10/08/00 08:54PM >>>

It still is. Part of a democratic culture is tangling with opinions which radically contradict one's own, and it's a measure of the US decline that our political culture is so astonishingly toothless (mainstream reporters in the Euro press, for example, aren't afraid to ask pols and execs really tough questions; in the US, everything is infotainment). LBO is kinda like the ideological version of a freeware OS; weird nooks and crannies all over, and clashes which can seem like religious wars because, well, they sort of are. But in the end the thing coheres, to paraphrase Pound. Don't ask me how, I'm just one of the many cybertribbles in the virtual grain elevator.

CB: Did Doug tell you to say this ?