Chris Burford's Comments

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Sun Oct 8 17:54:19 PDT 2000

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

> into this kind of exchange.] Rather, after a couple of looks at the archives
> (which seem to have now disappeared into cyberspace for some reason) over
> time and another couple of weeks of lurking, it seemed to me to be a center
> of some intelligent and interesting discourse on the left.

It still is. Part of a democratic culture is tangling with opinions which radically contradict one's own, and it's a measure of the US decline that our political culture is so astonishingly toothless (mainstream reporters in the Euro press, for example, aren't afraid to ask pols and execs really tough questions; in the US, everything is infotainment). LBO is kinda like the ideological version of a freeware OS; weird nooks and crannies all over, and clashes which can seem like religious wars because, well, they sort of are. But in the end the thing coheres, to paraphrase Pound. Don't ask me how, I'm just one of the many cybertribbles in the virtual grain elevator.

-- Dennis