RES: RES: Yugoslavia: what the media is hiding (The Guardian)

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sun Oct 8 13:36:09 PDT 2000

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de JKSCHW at aol.com Enviada em: domingo, 8 de outubro de 2000 15:34 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: RES: Yugoslavia: what the media is hiding (The Guardian)

Probably in a caudillo-type regime like Milosovic's, parlaiment is a lot less important than who el Chefe is. In an imperfect analogy, who cared who ran the Supreme Soviet?

-It seems Milosevic´s Serbia is a bit more democratic than former USSR. I would -consider it not a dictatorship, but a "half democracy" like Turkey, Malaysia -Peru, or Russia. Opposition is tolerated, but elections were always unfair due -to fraud and unequal access to media, not to mention some degree of repression. -But the information we have from the Guardian and from some Brazilian (where I -live) newspapers is that the president can´t do much withouth parliament support. -I don´t know if it´s correct and how the opposition of SPS in the Congress will -be managed.

Alexandre Fenelon